Friday, February 20, 2009

What kinds of student-teacher relationships exist in urban schools?

The schooling experience, whether good or bad, is ultimately influenced by the teachers who have shaped it for the students.

When thinking about urban schools, the one overriding interest I have is the relationship that exists between students and teachers. As I've never attended an urban school, I'd like to know if the dynamics involved are anything similar to the experience I've had going to a suburban school.

In considering student-teacher relationships in urban schools, a number of subsequent questions pop into mind:
  • What is the average student-teacher ratio?
  • How involved are urban teachers in the lives of their students?
  • How much interaction do urban teachers have with the families of their students?
  • How much does this interaction between students and teachers affect urban schools, districts and communities in general?
  • What are the benefits/losses attributed to communication (or lack thereof) between urban students and teachers?
I believe that in addressing these questions I will be able to better understand the dynamics that come into play in urban schools. Typical urban problems such as teacher attrition and poor national rankings may become more clear to me. I'd like to probe further and find out if urban schools really have poor student-teacher relationships, as I've been lead to believe. If this is so, I would also like to find out the source of these problematic relationships. Is it the fault of the students for acting out and creating trouble? Is it the fault of the teacher for not being able to adequately relate to the students? Do teachers in urban schools have preconceived notions about their students that ultimately affect the way they teach?

My findings might completely contradict my previous ideas, but I feel it's a topic worthy of exploration.

1 comment:

  1. So what kind of relationship do you want to have with the students? What do you think will be effective?

    You asked good questions. Thanks for sparking some thought. I believe in developing a positive relationship with students that moves beyond teacher/student, but always has a focus on development and support.

    ReplyDelete